Graffiti can look good but not here.
It is sad to see so much rubbish in the canal, old chairs and lots of plastic bags 2 of which have ended up around our prop. I think someone may have lost his fight I hooked this glove out of the canal.
We also encountered a problem as we did not have a anti vandal key for the locks. Luckily there were fellow boaters that could help. This is the first time we had needed these keys and we shall be prepared next time having now bought a key from a canal boat trader who is moored up on the side of the locks.
We really enjoyed our visit to the lovely Knowle. Such a beautiful place with many luxury properties. We called by to say hello to an aunty of our friends Pat and Derek. Aunty Joan made us very welcome. She was an amazing lady and seemed much younger than her years. Knowle has some very posh restaurants and an Artisan bakery, which had the largest meringues ever !
Pats Aunty Joan
Knowle Parish Church
Before we reached the Hatton flight we had a tunnel to go through at Shrewley just 443 yards long so not such a challenge as some of the other ones we have encountered.
Our next mooring was at the top of the Hatton flight. The word flight is used to describe a series of locks . In this case 21 locks. When travelling through locks of this quantity it is advisable to find another boat to share the locks with you. It saves water and also halves the work. We walked down to take a look at the locks and see what was to be ahead of us the next morning. After introducing ourselves to another couple we agreed on a start time of 8am.
We woke early to heavy rain, so donned our wet weather gear and set off. Our companions on canal boat Laughing Gravy , Carole and Roy were helping their daughter by collecting and delivering the boat for her.
The locks were heavy and large. It was quite daunting seeing so many locks ahead of us. The rain stopped and eventually the sun put in an appearance. At the end of the 21 locks we stopped for a shared lunch of fresh crusty bread and homemade soup with our new friends. Then onwards to 2 more locks before we bid Carole and Roy farewell and promised to stay in touch.
Carole hard at work
We decided we would stop overnight at Warwick. We moored alongside a huge Tesco supermarket.
Shortly afterwards decided that this mooring was not for us. Too many other boats around and no TV signal, a good enough excuse to move on. Also I have to say I was quite disappointed when looking up on the Internet the admission charges for Warwick Castle. £60 for the 2 of us ! Extortionate , an unbelievable amount of money. So onward to Leamington Spa. A good choice as we have had a really lovely morning walking through the Jephson Park and looking and the Regency style buildings.
Also in the park is a lovely memorial to Samuel Lockhart. He was a famous elephant trainer and was commanded to perform with his elephants in front of Queen Victoria. The elephants were known as the 3 Graces. Their names being Wilhelmina , Hattie and Trilby. his elephants bathed regularly in the the River Leam.
a very impressive Town Hall
The old Spa Baths which is now a museum
A Very inviting restaurant
The Interior
We have passed under many amazing bridges and seen some very interesting things on route.
Now we are moored up at Long Ichington, having done another 10 locks ! No more locks please. I feel exhausted now. They are tough going and I feel as if I have been to boot camp ! I have walked in between the locks too. Tomorrow hopefully an easier day. We plan to walk into the village , it's just a mile away and we have read its worth visiting. I will keep you posted.
Today I counted how may full winds I made on one of these paddles. 51 ! The average is about 25 winds up and then down.



























No comments:
Post a Comment